Publications relating to PCN and the project can be found here.
Tolerance to Potato Cyst Nematodes: A review
A review of information relating to tolerance of potatoes to cyst nematodes.
PCN Working Group Final Report
A working group comprised of over 50 potato industry, government and academia partners was set up to create a strategy for dealing with PCN. The resulting report written by Ian Toth, Fiona Burnett, Philip Burgess, Colin Herron, Jon Pickup, is published on the Plant Health Centre website and includes the four recommendations below that the group proposed:
- Increase the potato sector’s capability and motivation to implement change
- Preserve the land base for future generations
- Control the epidemic
- Recognise the investment needed to tackle the PCN problem.
Plant Health Centre - Future Threat of PCN Report
This report was originally published on the Plant Health Centre website and was written by Vivian Blok, Jon Pickup, Kim Davie, Helen Kettle, David Ewing, Adrian Roberts, Laura Kuhfuss, Adam Kleczkowski, Beth McDougall.
- Determines the most effective way to control PCN is the use of resistant varieties and that more G. pallida resistance markers are required to assist breeders.
- Identifies practices that are detrimental to the control of PCN and barriers to the uptake of good practice in Scotland.
- Includes recommendations such as encouraging the use of resistant varieties in control programmes and potentially shifting rules within the legislation to benefit the management of PCN.
The report concluded that if no action is taken, and at the current rate of increase, the widespread presence of G. pallida may prohibit the production of seed potatoes on land free from PCN in as little as 30 years.
AHDB PCN Grower Guide
The AHDB PCN Grower Guide covers many aspects of PCN from background and prevalence to distribution, sampling and control methods. This guide was published in 2018 by AHDB Potatoes.